If you have a garden at your New York home, you probably have put a lot of love and care
into creating it. The last thing you want is for one or more species of animals to
invade your garden and destroy all your hard work. You will have to be proactive because
many animals will find gardens attractive and will not hesitate to take advantage of the
readily available food source. There are many strategies you can employ to protect your
garden from Rochester animal invaders, and several of these are mentioned below. You should use a
combination of these methods to have the best results.
• Building a fence around your Rochester garden beds: it is one of the most effective solutions to keep the animals out of your garden. You can include either poultry wire or bamboo as materials for fencing, but it should be at least 15 cm under the ground to prevent burrowing animals.
• Raised beds and narrow pathways between the beds: most animals are really reluctant to leave the ground level and enter the beds. Try to keep the distance between the beds as wide as 30 cm, but not more than that.
• Interplant variety of plants with each other: a few plants like garlic, onion, chives, marigold and lavender repel Rochester rabbits, deer and a few other animals. You can create a perimeter of animal repellant vegetables around your other vulnerable crops to protect them.
• Tying strings: you can tie aluminum cans or pie plates with string and place them around your garden. The shiny metal and the noise usually scare the animal.
• Home remedies: you can use orange and lemon peels to prevent New York cats from entering your garden. A spray bottle with water and hot sauce deters the raccoons.
There are few things more frustrating to a Rochester gardener than seeing all their hard work destroyed by one or more animals that have taken advantage of the food source. You should not leave your garden vulnerable to the many animals that would love to invade it. There are many options available for the gardener who wants to protect their fruits, vegetables, plants and flowers from being destroyed by New York animals. Preventative measures like the ones that were mentioned above are highly recommended because if you wait until after you have already spotted an animal invader, the damage may have already been done.
Visit our Rochester animal removal home page to learn more about us.